About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
In this season, I will be sharing my heart.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Save Me from Myself

Sometimes it's not other people or the devil causing me to slip up and do the things I would rather not do or feel the way I feel, but it is simply the fact that I still have areas of my heart that have not been healed. Just today I asked God a question: I wondered why certain people I valued were no longer in my life? The answer I received was because of my codependency. We all have strengths and weaknesses, but I am extremely attracted to others who have strengths that I do not have. I feed on them like a leech sucking blood. Please do not get me wrong, it is fair to learn from those who know and have more than us, but I seem to lean on them in a codependent way in order to supplement my weaknesses, which eventually pushes them away and the friendship ends. God is bringing this to my attention because whenever I do that, I have made that person an idol. God is a jealous God and it is very easy to begin to worship people instead of The Lord. "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.... (2 Corinthians 12:9) God's strength is what we need to make up for our weaknesses, not another person I could potentially drain and end up sabotaging the relationship. In this, The Lord requires for me and anyone who struggles in this area to stand on our own two feet, allowing Him to be our EVERYTHING! What does that mean? It means our God is all knowing, all powerful, and is everywhere at once. It means all we need is in Him. It means we are satisfied, filled with joy and at peace with Him and ourselves no matter what comes or goes because we understand His love for us and we trust Him at His word. Honestly, this requires lots of patience, practice and faith! That in itself can be challenging because we cannot physically see God or feel Him (with the exception of nature)...which takes us back to our faith. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen"....(Hebrews 11:1) so we MUST believe He is and what He says He is according to the word of God. Once we make up our minds to truly TRUST God with our weaknesses, we will no longer depend on people to make our lives okay. We will believe we have all that we need because we are in God and God is in us. And the people who come into our lives will be a blessing to us and we will be a blessing to them because there is no codependency, pressure or obligation. Everyone is free to be themselves, which in my opinion is how God would have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment