About Me

My photo
Atlanta, GA, United States
In this season, I will be sharing my heart.

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Dumping our Trash

Since my divorce, I moved into an apartment. I now drive the trash to the dumpster within the complex. One day in particular, I packed the trash in the back of the van, as I was running late and considered running my errand with the trash, hoping it would not smell. As I thought about driving pass the dumpster, the Holy Spirit urged me not to drive around with trash in my car. Then I began to think about how we drive around with trash in our spirits and it could eventually smell, when God wants us to dump our trash. Trash is defined as worthless or discarded material or objects; often abusive speech about a person or group. I knew God was going to lay me out with this one because I had to admit to the trash in my life, which is very uncomfortable and painful. I was still struggling with fear. I was wrestling with anger. I was walking in unbelief, wondering how God would do this or do that? You can tell when there is trash in your life by the self talk that comes up. Trash normally comes after something or someone has been used and discarded. How do we get rid of our trash? We submit and humble ourselves before The Lord. The Bible says, "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up". (James 4:7-10 NIV) In order to get rid of the trash in our lives and negative voices in our heads, we allow ourselves to sit with God in His presence and talk to Him from our hearts. Even if it sounds ridiculous or embarrassing, He loves us anyway. In humility, we share where we are missing it and where we are struggling. I had to confess to God I was STILL struggling with fear, anger, and unbelief. I prayed and asked for His help. I cried because I thought I should have it figured out by now. But prayer is awesome because we have an opportunity to commune with God. Reading the word of God, meditating in it, and giving it back to Him in prayer is key to our break through. The Bible says, "So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it". (Isaiah 55:11) Father in the name of Jesus the Christ, Lord we thank you for being so kind, forgiving, and loving. Help us to submit ourselves to You so that we can truly dump the trash out of our hearts and spirits. There are areas of our lives that need to be dumped into the dumpster and we praise You for walking us through the process. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment